Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Ireland


Ireland is a very small country. There are two parts of Ireland the republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. The republic of Ireland's population is 4.83 million people. Northan Ireland has 1.882 million. Northern Ireland is part of the UK, the four countries in the UK are Northan Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales.  Northern Ireland and Ireland are on the same land but they are two different countries.

 In Ireland they have there own patron Saint called St Patrick. He died in the same place at he had built his first church. He is not actually Irish he is from mainland Britain. But at the age of 16 he was kidnapped by Irish pirates and spent 6 years in captivity before returning home to his family. He spent 15 years in priesthood then returned to Ireland as a missionary after having a vision where he was ordained bishop.

The capital of Ireland is Dublin. The capital of Northern Ireland is Belfast. The two official languages are English and Gaelic its a language they used in the olden days but now only 82,600 people use it at home. Ireland also invented the submarine. One of the most traditional Irish dishes is Irish stew, bacon and cabbage with potatoes and sausages.


Have you ever been to Ireland?
Did you learn anything new with this blog post?


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post